Come Along with Us!

STATUS UPDATE

Currently in: Anacortes, WA!!! We're done!

Quality Water Means Quality Life

1.2 billion people do not have access to clean water.
Help others avoid the choice between thirst or disease.

As we passed through the Ozark Mountains, among Missouri scenic rivers, we came to a gorgeous little spot called "Two Rivers." At this convergence of the Jacks Fork and Current rivers, the silt heavy rapids of the Current meet the clear calm of the Jacks Fork river and one can actually see the divide between the two. I couldn't help but think of the divide between our access to clean water and the lack thereof in the villages of rural Ghana.

Troy and I consume on average, about 12 to 20 (20 oz) bottles of water daily. That's 12 to 20 times per day that, unlike the people in rural Ghana, Troy and I avoid illness without even realizing it. Regardless of how many miles we ride, we have no doubt that stopping anywhere along the road for water will be easy and risk-free.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Welcome to Missouri

July 29th - Day 15 - Chester, IL to Farmington, MO - 53 miles

After crossing the Mississippi River, my introduction to Missouri was marked by a brutal head wind blowing across the flat Mississippi River floodplain. Once I got away from the wind into the rolling hills, Missouri had another wonderful welcome in store. At the first glimpse of a roadkill armadillo I thought, "Woah, cool, I'm really in the South now." Then I got closer to it.

Now let me preface by saying that I've been doing long bike rides since I was 8 years old, so roadkill and the associated smell is certainly not new to me. But this bundle of joy was a bit of a surprise to me. It must be the armored shell that concentrates the gag-itude. And the linger, I mean when you ride past a skunk it's gross for about 20 yards but then it quickly fades away, not so with these lovelies. So, in summary, I'm glad to get to see wildlife but I'm hoping that there won't be many more armadillos on the route. But with how slow and stupid they are I won't hold my breath. Or maybe I will.

Today was a shorter day than intended, but Farmington is a nice little town that should allow us to get some work done and dry out after last night's thunderstorm. Our accomodations tonight are pretty unique. We're staying in the Farmington Fire Department's Mobile Command Unit. The bus has two TVs with cable, a microwave, electrical outlets, amazing air conditioning, cots and couches for sleeping. This is the life.

Speaking of the life, we spent a good bit of the day at the local pool/waterpark, nothing like a ride in the Lazy River to help relax sore legs. To cap off a day of roughing it in the wilderness, the ice cream truck came by to make sure that we are keeping up on our quick sugars. I'll take the Batman popsicle, thank you very much.

From the Mississippi River to an elaborate waterpark, today has been a day of reminders of our great water resources and the luxury that they afford us.

No comments:

Post a Comment