Come Along with Us!

STATUS UPDATE

Currently in: Anacortes, WA!!! We're done!

Quality Water Means Quality Life

1.2 billion people do not have access to clean water.
Help others avoid the choice between thirst or disease.

As we passed through the Ozark Mountains, among Missouri scenic rivers, we came to a gorgeous little spot called "Two Rivers." At this convergence of the Jacks Fork and Current rivers, the silt heavy rapids of the Current meet the clear calm of the Jacks Fork river and one can actually see the divide between the two. I couldn't help but think of the divide between our access to clean water and the lack thereof in the villages of rural Ghana.

Troy and I consume on average, about 12 to 20 (20 oz) bottles of water daily. That's 12 to 20 times per day that, unlike the people in rural Ghana, Troy and I avoid illness without even realizing it. Regardless of how many miles we ride, we have no doubt that stopping anywhere along the road for water will be easy and risk-free.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Travelling along the Mormon Trail is a humbling experience

August 20th - Day 35 - Rawlins, WY to Sweetwater Station, WY - 85 miles

I woke up to a strong cross/headwind blowing across the open expanses of Wyoming. The day started into the wind going up a long, tiring climb with absolutely no cover to slow the wind. During this climb I had a lot of time to scan the roadside and admire all of the litter that seems especially prevalent on this stretch of road. By watching the roadside flotsam I acquired a new friend. I spotted a McDonald's kid's meal teddy bear at the edge of the pavement and quickly stopped to scoop him up. I've attached him to the rear of my trunk bag and named him NASMART because he's doing the TransAm looking backward.

Once I dropped down from the initial climb I entered a vast flat plain circled by mountains in the distance on all sides. It was beautiful, but punishing as the wind whipped unimpeded toward me. the rest of the morning was similarly flat, with thankfully a few ridges in the afternoon to break up the wind. I crossed the continental divide twice more today, which is a bit maddening as I want to simply head west and less north.

In the afternoon the wind died down and then changed directions. The light wind becamce a tailwind that helped me average about 21 miles per hour for the last 30 miles of the day into Sweetwater Station. We camped tonight at the Mormon Handcart Historic Site - Sixth Crossing. The site is a museum commemorating the emigration of one particular group of Mormons that traveled the Mormon Trail toward the Rocky Mountains. The group became caught in a blizzard after starting out too late in the season and suffered many deaths and injuries. The missionaries at the site recall many stories of the Mormon Trail with amazing detail. As I ride I am reminded of the hardship faced by others along this same route and am thankful for the luxuries with which I am equipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment