Come Along with Us!

STATUS UPDATE

Currently in: Anacortes, WA!!! We're done!

Quality Water Means Quality Life

1.2 billion people do not have access to clean water.
Help others avoid the choice between thirst or disease.

As we passed through the Ozark Mountains, among Missouri scenic rivers, we came to a gorgeous little spot called "Two Rivers." At this convergence of the Jacks Fork and Current rivers, the silt heavy rapids of the Current meet the clear calm of the Jacks Fork river and one can actually see the divide between the two. I couldn't help but think of the divide between our access to clean water and the lack thereof in the villages of rural Ghana.

Troy and I consume on average, about 12 to 20 (20 oz) bottles of water daily. That's 12 to 20 times per day that, unlike the people in rural Ghana, Troy and I avoid illness without even realizing it. Regardless of how many miles we ride, we have no doubt that stopping anywhere along the road for water will be easy and risk-free.

Monday, August 31, 2009

August 16th - Day 31 - Fairplay, CO to Hot Sulphur Springs, CO - 95 miles

Cynthia and I started out riding together today. The route went over Hoosier Pass, which at 11,542ft is the highest point on the TransAmerican Trail. Both of us wanted to experience the Pass, so after a long, tiring climb we went over together. I turned back and descended down the way I had come to the car which we parked at the base of the climb while Cynthia continued down the other side into Breckenridge, where I continued biking solo. I met Cynthia 14 miles later in Silverthorne for lunch.

Cynthia has been craving Chipotle for a long time, so finding one there was a boon. Unfortunately, the long climb and long lunch today would have severe consequences later in the day. Later in the evening, I met Cynthia again in a small diner where she was able to get free wifi and do laundry nearby. I stopped only shortly as I it was already nearly 7pm and I had another 17 miles to do for the day. I rode hard trying to peak my exertion the whole way, but still failed to outrun the fading daylight. I rode the last few miles through canyons so dark that I had to intently watch the white line to know my position. Though I have lights and reflectors I still pulled off the road whenever a car approached from behind. That was probably the biggest risk I've had to take thus far.

To add to the fun, the town we were staying in had few road lights, so I waited at a gas station for Cynthia to arrive to find our camp for the night. The town allows camping along the river road, which is in poor condition and not welcoming, to say the least, in the dark of night. It got cold again tonight and we found refuge in sleeping bags as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment