Come Along with Us!

STATUS UPDATE

Currently in: Anacortes, WA!!! We're done!

Quality Water Means Quality Life

1.2 billion people do not have access to clean water.
Help others avoid the choice between thirst or disease.

As we passed through the Ozark Mountains, among Missouri scenic rivers, we came to a gorgeous little spot called "Two Rivers." At this convergence of the Jacks Fork and Current rivers, the silt heavy rapids of the Current meet the clear calm of the Jacks Fork river and one can actually see the divide between the two. I couldn't help but think of the divide between our access to clean water and the lack thereof in the villages of rural Ghana.

Troy and I consume on average, about 12 to 20 (20 oz) bottles of water daily. That's 12 to 20 times per day that, unlike the people in rural Ghana, Troy and I avoid illness without even realizing it. Regardless of how many miles we ride, we have no doubt that stopping anywhere along the road for water will be easy and risk-free.

Monday, August 31, 2009

No FREE sulphur springs in Hot Sulphur Springs. Boo.

August 17th - Day 32 - Hot Sulphur Springs, CO to Walden, CO - 61 miles

The late night last night and cold this morning kept us tucked in our tent extra long this morning. We had heard that there were free hot sulphur springs in town, but our searching and inquiries this morning only lead us to the resort near town that definitely was not free.

Dejected, I got on the bike and headed out. I rode over the continental divide again at 9,621 ft, but beyond that the road was unremarkable, just long rolling hills and a headwind. I rode through the Arapaho National Wildlife Refuge this afternoon. I hoped to see pronghorn antelope or bison. I saw some hawks, but beyond that there were only large pastures of grazing cows in this wildlife refuge. It was very exciting to ride into Walden and see that they call themselves the "Moose Viewing Capital of the World". I looked intently, but didn't see any moose. I gratefully pulled into camp in Walden city park and found that Cynthia was already making pasta for dinner. I'm truly spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment